United States - Eligible Citizens Financial Aid for Colgate University Skip Navigation

U.S. Citizens and Eligible Noncitizens

All U.S. citizens and eligible noncitizens* receiving financial aid must reapply annually in order to continue to be considered for assistance. Domestic students who have not previously received financial aid are welcome to apply as well.
Unless the Office of Financial Aid informs you otherwise, the requirements for students applying for Colgate aid are as follows:


The CSS PROFILE should be completed and submitted online at www.collegeboard.com/profile. The submission deadline is April 1.  If you completed the PROFILE electronically last year, your user ID and password will be valid for this year’s application as well. Colgate’s code for the PROFILE is 2086.

Please use the "Explanations/Special Circumstances" section of the PROFILE to provide information about any special circumstances about which you feel the Office of Financial Aid should be aware. In many cases we are not initially able to take such circumstances into account; but with further documentation, such as might be requested during the course of a financial aid appeal, we are sometimes able to make adjustments.

Noncustodial PROFILE (if applicable)

Information must be provided by each living biological or adoptive parent. If your biological or adoptive parents are divorced, separated, or were never married to each other, then the custodial parent (i.e., the parent with whom you more often reside) completes the PROFILE, and the noncustodial parent completes the Noncustodial PROFILE. The Noncustodial PROFILE process begins after completion of the custodial parent's PROFILE. Filing instructions will be provided by CSS electronically.

2) Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA is completed and submitted online at www.fafsa.ed.gov, after January 1 and before April 1. Colgate's code for the FAFSA is 002701.

Be sure to select the FAFSA application for the correct year of enrollment -- the dates should match your anticipated dates of attendance.  To complete the FAFSA you will need to have a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID). The FSA ID will serve as your electronic signature.  For dependent students, at least one parent must also have an FSA ID.  If you need assistance with the log-in or ID-creation process, please call 1-800-433-3243. 

When reporting income on the FAFSA, please use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) if at all possible. The DRT will work only if an eligible tax return has already been submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  Before attempting to use the DRT, please wait 1-2 weeks after submission to the IRS of an electronically filed return, or 6-8 weeks after submission of a paper return.  If the DRT is not used, we may need to ask you for an additional tax form at a later date, which could delay the availability of your aid.

3) Tax returns

Students and parent(s) are required by April 1 to submit current tax documents to the College Board's IDOC imaging service.  Once you have submitted the PROFILE, the College Board will contact you with IDOC instructions.  Should you misplace the IDOC notification, please visit idoc.collegeboard.org for further information.  The following documents are required to be submitted:
  • A signed copy of parent(s)'s 2015 Federal Income Tax Return(s), including all schedules and W-2 forms; OR, if applicable, a 2015 Parent Non-Tax Filer's Statement, found on the student's IDOC Document Management Dashboard.
  • If applicable, a signed copy of the noncustodial parent's 2015 Federal Income Tax Return, including all schedules and W-2 forms; OR, if applicable, a 2015 Parent Non-Tax Filer's Statement, found on the student's IDOC Document Management Dashboard.
  • A signed copy of student’s 2015 Federal Income Tax Return, including all schedules and W-2 forms; OR, if applicable, a 2015 Student Non-Tax Filer's Statement, found on the student's IDOC Document Management Dashboard.
For questions about IDOC submissions, please contact IDOC Customer Service at 305-420-3688.

4) Other items as required

In certain cases additional information or documentation may be required -- by Colgate or by federal or state governments -- in order to verify eligibility for financial aid. If additional information is required, you will be contacted directly by the Office of Financial Aid.

Your financial aid application will only be reviewed once all required documents have been received. Providing false information in order to obtain financial aid will result in the cancellation of any aid.

Please note that domestic students applying only for federal student aid need not meet the above deadlines, and need not submit the PROFILE.  They may instead submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at any time during, or in the months immediately preceding, the academic year for which they are seeking federal assistance.

* Generally, you are an eligible noncitizen if you fall into one of the categories noted here. If you are neither a citizen nor an eligible noncitizen, please visit our webpages for returning students who are Canadian Citizens or International (Non-Canadian) Citizens.

FAQs for Current Students

What are Colgate's financial aid application codes?
Colgate requires financial aid application information from each living biological or adoptive parent. This requirement applies even if parents are divorced, separated, or were never married to each other. In cases of non-support or unwillingness to pay, we still need information concerning the parent with whom you do not reside (the noncustodial parent). Students with extenuating circumstances should contact the Office of Financial Aid.
Can I be considered for financial aid in future years if I did not receive any financial aid in my first year?
Yes. Domestic and Canadian students may apply for financial aid in upperclass years, even if they did not receive aid in their first year.
How do I apply for my Federal Direct Loan?
If you receive a Federal Direct Loan as part of a Colgate financial aid award and you've previously received a Direct Loan, your loan will be processed automatically (because you completed your loan requirements in a previous year). If you are a first-time borrower, loan application instructions will be sent to you during the summer. If you do not receive a Federal Direct Loan as part of an aid award but decide you would like to apply for a loan, please be sure you've first completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and then, in writing, notify the Office of Financial Aid of your name, Colgate ID#, and the amount you'd like to borrow. (Maximum borrowing levels are $6,500 for sophomores and $7,500 for juniors and seniors.) Parents interested in a Federal Direct PLUS Loan may, after completion of the FAFSA, apply for a loan through studentloans.gov.
Does Colgate allow graduate students or parents to be counted as family members in college?
Family members in college may be counted as members of the household. However, parents are never counted as being in college, and siblings in graduate school are counted as being in college only for the purposes of federal aid.
Will I receive the same aid package each year at Colgate?
If you received aid in your first year and your family circumstances remain relatively unchanged, you can expect a comparable aid package that meets your demonstrated need in your upperclass years, provided you apply on time.
I missed the deadline for applying for financial aid. What should I do? Will I still get aid?
Submit your application materials as soon as possible. Colgate will continue to offer financial aid as long as resources allow. The composition of the aid award may change, though, if a student does not meet the application deadline.
Is there a limit to how much I can work?
Yes. While classes are in session, full-time students are asked to schedule themselves for no more than 15 hours a week, and they are held to a maximum of 20 hours of work a week. (The limit does not apply when school is not in session, such as during summer break.) However, Colgate anticipates that students will need to work no more than 10-12 hours per week in order to earn their work-study awards.
Is consumer debt considered part of the calculation in determining the family contribution?
Not specifically, because taking into account high levels of consumer debt would give families who owe significant amounts of money an unfair advantage over families who do not. However, our calculation does provide a standard allowance for reasonable levels of household expense. That said, families who are facing difficulty in managing their debt specifically as a result of a parent's recent job loss, wage reduction, illness, or death may wish to make note of this in the "Special Circumstances" section of the CSS PROFILE, so we can be aware of the situation.
How can I find out who my Stafford loan lender is?
If you had a Stafford Loan at Colgate prior to our switching to the Federal Direct Loan program in 2009-10, you can look up your lender information in the Banner Self-Service section of the Colgate portal.